Sunday, September 30, 2007

from rags to riches...

Hello! So this is my first blogging experience and I feel like I have so much to share! I can't even explain the adventure I have gone through. It has been 48 hours and I am STILL not there. So... my flight was Friday evening at 8:30. I arrive at the airport around 6, said my goodbyes, shed some tears, asked myself what the hell am I doing, and then I found myself at gate 43 ready to board a flight across the country. After sitting for about an hour I realize that they are not boarding and then I was told that the flight was delayed til 2:30 AM! I thought... oh coooooooooooool. Not only did I have to wait a for another 5 hours but I will miss my connecting flight to Dar es Salaam. And then I got even luckier because British Airways does not fly on Sundays so by the time I would make it to London, I would be stuck for a day. My program starts October 1st, so I didn't know what to do!

I have ADD if you didn't know. I was bored to tears and was already overwhelmed. I sat for awhile and felt sorry for myself and then something snapped. I pulled myself together and just told myself that everything happens for a reason. The airport had a chilis rest. so I decided to go sit in there and eat, write in my journal, or just people watch. It was ironic because that day I was just talking about how I had never eaten alone in a restaurant. Well.. i finally accomplished something was on my list of things to do... it was liberating in a strange way.

So then, I returned to gate 43 just to be told that my flight was delayed til 3:30 now. UGHHHHH! I was so frustrated and tired. I didn't want to fall asleep because I wanted to sleep on the plane so I forced my eyelids to stay open. Then the flight was delayed ANOTHER hour. To make it short, they boarded the plane at 4:30 in the morning. We sat in the dark for 2 hours with moving an inch. The annoyingly happy flight attendant proceeded to tell us that the flight was now cancelled and we had to make other reservations on our own. I was pissed. My body was literally aching because I was so tired. They treated us like crap and truthfully it was the worst service I have had in a LONG time. My familia came to rescue me and I rearrange my flight for that night (which was now Saturday) at 8:30 pm. I went home slept, and prepared for takeoff...round two.

Leaving was almost harder the second time. It was a tease already coming back and leaving again was simply torture. Everyone hates goodbyes and doing them twice 24 hours apart is agonizing. But..I survived. So this time, I was treated like royalty. They upgraded my ticket and I was able to fly first class!!! It was the most amazing 10 hours I have had in a long time. I usually hate flying but this was a piece of cake. Right when I sat down in my RECLINING, spacious seat, I was greeted by a friendly middle aged woman with a glass of champagne. I must admit I looked completely out of place. Here I was in two day old clothes, unbathed, and savers clothing (literally). The passengers next to me were definitely NOT going to suburbia like I am. Anyway.. I had a choice of 4 entrees, I chose the steak of course, 2 appetizers, 2 desserts, and warm bread. OH! and they served hot nuts. Sounds dirty I know but they were literally super hot nuts...the almonds were my favorite! After devouring my meal, I snuggled in and kicked back. I had a down blanket, BOSE earphones with any choice of music, movies, or TV shows, and an awesome footrest. I slept for 7 hours...straight. I woke up to my next meal. Who couldn't be happier! It was a three cheese omelet with potatoes, sausage, bagel and cream cheese, orange juice, and fresh fruit. AND... since I was now a "preferred customer", I was given a fast track pass for going through passport checks, and I had a travel pack filled with goodies. I literally felt like I went from rags to riches...

Now.. I am currently in London. The airline is paying for my hotel room, two meals, and my bus pass. As frustrating as it was I am pleased with what has come from it. Tomorrow I am site seeing London because my flight doesn't leave until tom. night. If anyone has any ideas of where I should go.. let me know! As of right now I will be in Africa Tuesday morning at 7:00 am. Hopefully I can make it with out too many unplanned complications.

I think I have been overwhelmed and tired so I haven't really been able to sit and think yet. It still doesn't feel like I am in a foreign country by myself. I know the loneliness will arrive but it hasn't come yet. Usually I am very afraid but truthfully I have felt an urge of courage. Its like when you know you are the only one, you must act. You just make things work and ask a lot of questions. My trip has only been 48 hours long and I have already learned a couple things... I really can't complain.

Well.. I miss you all. I'm sure this whole thing is extremely boring but I feel better about just venting. Besides, later on I really don't want to forget my first class experience. Please continue to pray for me.. it has been helping!!

peace&love,
kates

ps: I can't wait to ditch my luggage. My arms are sore, and I look like the helpless American trying to lug 120 pounds of crap around. It is not a pleasant experience!

3 comments:

kelly said...

honored to be the first to comment and simply say:

you rock!

chloe misses you.

Unknown said...

Hey Katie
I am so proud of you!! Have a safe and wonderful trip. I will be praying for you. Love, Lori Luchetta

tibor45 said...

Kates - so much fun to read about your travel experience and your fun! Keep it up ... helps me when I miss you.
Thanks for thinking of me in the museum of science ... you probably thought it was a good thing I wasn't there w/ you, or you'd be stuck there longer!
Have a great time ... miss you, proud of you, love you.